Top 10 Dive Sites in the World
Make a Bucket List
Everyone has a bucket list of things they would like to do before they die. It makes sense that divers should have their own bucket list of places to see before the end of their diving days. A list of the top ten diving places in the world should include something from every type of dive.
If you have plenty of time to go diving you could make more than the one list. Try compiling a bucket list of the top ten dive sites in Europe or the Caribbean and work your way around the world. This list is merely a suggestion with sites you should consider for your own list.
1. The Yongala – Queensland, Australia
- 109 metres wreck (entry into the ship is forbidden).
- Protected under the Historic Shipwrecks Act.
- Lots of wildlife: Manta Rays, Tiger Sharks, Bull Sharks and Turtles.
- Incredible coral formations.
- Accessible from Ayr Township.
2. Barracuda Point – Sipadan Island
- World class Malaysian dive site.
- 800m drop off
- Occasionally strong sweeping currents.
- Broadly diverse sea life; Sea Turtles, Buffalo Fish, Coconut Crab
3. Blue Corner Wall - Palau, Micronesia
- A wall dive popular with experienced divers.
- Strong currents for a challenging dive.
- Excellent opportunity to see sharks.
- Fabulous diversity of marine life.
4. Thistlegorm – Egyptian Red Sea
- Cargo ship wreck filled with motorbikes, train carriages and trucks.
- Sunk in 1941 after being bombed by 2 German bombers .
- Laying at a max depth of 29 meters.
- Reports of encounters with giant moray eels.
- Popular site for a night dive.
5. Shark & Yolanda Reef – Egyptian Red Sea
- Shark reef rich in anemones.
- Mixture of drop off and ship wreck.
- Good currents for drift diving.
- Three reefs in one dive.
6. Navy Pier – Western Australia
- Extends around 300m from the shore.
- Very popular for night dives.
- Described as possibly the best shore dive on the planet.
- Plenty of sea life, even humpback whales in the right season.
7. Great Blue Hole – Belize
- Incredibly deep hole edged with coral reefs.
- Great visibility in the water.
- Best time to dive is between April – June.
- Hole is 143 meters deep and home to plenty of mako and sharks.
8. Big Brother – Egyptian Red Sea
- Divers must have 50+ open water dives under their belt to dive here.
- Currents can be wild and unpredictable.
- Interaction with sharks is common.
- Steep sided volcanic cone dive.
9. Manta Ray Night Dive – Kailua Kona, Hawaii
- Lights set into the ocean floor attract plankton which attracts manta rays.
- Currents here can be wild at times.
- Guaranteed close encounters with the large rays.
10. Liberty Wreck – Bali, Indonesia
- Wreck dive between 9-30m of water.
- Suitable for all levels of diving skill.
- A photographer’s favourite site because of the abundance of life here.
- Very still current with visibility up to 20m.
Do you have any diving Bucket list? Tell us where you wish to go diving!